The Love of People

When my family and I first visited Nashotah House as a prospective student family, we immediately loved several things about The House. First was the fact that we have on campus housing for families. This was huge, because the other school that we were looking at wasn’t set up that way. In fact, Nashotah House requires that students in the Master of Divinity program live on campus. The second thing that immediately struck us was that there was a daycare on campus, and in close proximity to the housing. 

10594315793_e3a66f12ce_b

There’s much more that makes Nashotah House what it is. What we’ve found here are friends, whom we live and work alongside. We know what each other is going through, whether that’s my knowing what a new student is experiencing in orientation or his first time term paper, or my wife knowing what his wife is experiencing. Children are abundant, and there is no shortage of playmates for my own children. 

Some might say that all this might be distracting, that we should keep school separate from our personal lives. What I have found, though, is that the community offers far more than simply other people- it offers others.

I don’t mean to sound like a broken record or a man who knows not that of which he talks. But what I mean to say is that here we actually know each other; not just on playdates or study groups for final exams or the dreaded “terms test”. There is a closeness other than the size of the chapel stalls. Joys and laughter, pain and grief are shared. If you get to know someone closely enough, the layers come off, and we begin to truly see each other. You begin to see each other’s hopes, dreams, and gifts. You learn how to accept each other and all of each other’s quirks and traits and habits.

10594423313_b3529ace3e_b

This, on some level, takes one back to the idea of formation, and back to the concept of personhood. That is one of many, many things that I love about Nashotah House. 

9960128726_2b478b5e83_b

nashotahhouse

About nashotahhouse

Located in Nashotah, Wisconsin, Nashotah House Theological Seminary is the oldest institute of higher education in the state of Wisconsin. Founded in 1842 by a Missionary Bishop of the Episcopal Church, Nashotah House belongs to the Anglican tradition of worship, theology and spirituality. That is, Nashotah House traces her roots to the Church of England and locates herself within the worldwide Anglican Communion. Comprehending the fundamental disciplines of Holy Scripture, Theology, Church History, Spirituality and Pastoral Ministry, the curriculum at Nashotah House not only roots our students in the ancient wisdom of the Church, it prepares and empowers them to communicate the Gospel to the world today.